Skip to main content

THE OPEN MARKET

I remember the open markets back in Africa
as you make your way past the stalls
you are met with very determined and enthusiastic sellers
calling out to prospective buyers,all trying to convince you to
stop by their shops..
sometimes the very bold ones would literally drag you to their stalls
a lot of times,they really don't have what they say they have..
other times,with sheer luck you can stumble on a good buy..
If you are from the part of the world where I am from..
you sometimes hear very enticing words( and sometimes annoying ) like fine woman come this way
pretty girl,African queen,Sugar potato and all sorts of endearments, all in the bid to draw your attention and advertise their wares..

As I sat in my bedroom there was an open market brewing in my mind
I battled with the devil trying to shove his suggestions my way.
oh how enticing this suggestions were,believe me
He painted pictures in my mind
trying to sell lie upon lie to me in the sweetest most subtle way

  • Oh he was saying things like..can you imagine what Abi(my sweet hubby) said,how could he do that..and the more I listened (seeds of anger were brewing)
  • how about the what if's..he said see how much confidence you have in God,what if he fails,what if it's actually God's will not to heal,what if everything suddenly goes wrong..(Ha do you see doubt springing up)
  • He continues with aah poor you,It's such a tough life you have,see all the things going wrong,is it only you,reminding me of all my challenges(his plan..self pity)
  • No one cares about you...where are all your friends when you need them..(depression,sadness that was his ploy).



As I jolted back as each wave of emotion subsided
 I could hear the still small voice saying..
Renew your mind Stella,take no thought,
the devil comes to steal,kill and destroy
same strategy,same game plan.
Guard your heart with diligence.. Prov 4:23
think on things that are true,honourable,right,
pure,lovely,admirable,excellent and worthy of praise.Phil 4:8
The holy spirit was selling to me all the truths in God's word
How precious I am to God,How faithful God is and how he never lies.
He reminded me of testimonies,He reminded me of the truth...

So......
What goods was I going to buy..
who was I going to patronize
whose suggestions(wares) appealed most to me?

See the problem is not the suggestions that are hurled at you
we live in a world where information is forced on us through
the Media,Information technology,peers and all.
It is what we do with the information,the thoughts,the suggestions that really matters
Do we stop to listen,consider and agree with those suggestions
or do we shut our ears and listen only to the truth.

Just like our open markets,you can't help what you hear
but you can choose to stop,listen,move on or go in and have a look,
what you pay for is your choice.
Today I challenge you to get rid of every thought
that doesn't agree with God's truth about you
or your situation....



Buy the truth and sell it not! Provs 23:23










Comments

remi said…
another great post. I am a fan. The devil can come under any form and we really need to renew our mind daily. Thank you for sharing and may God continue to be with you and your family.
Stella Agwor said…
Thank you dear Remi..we would not loose this battle in our minds..we have victory on every side..God bless your home too.
Unknown said…
Hi Stella,

I'm from FEBC, an established international Christian organization with a mission to share the Gospel. We recently started the Gospel Blog, a collection of posts surrounding the theme of sharing the Gospel, with topics on missions, evangelism, church, faith, and culture.


I read through a few of your posts and really enjoy your writing style and the thoughts you have to offer. We would love to have you contribute to our blog. I believe it would really benefit our audience, as well as point a lot of people back to your own website.

You can visit the blog at
http://blog.febc.org
You can view our main site at http://febc.org

If you are interested, please let us know by filling out the form at http://blog.febc.org/guest-blog


Thanks!
The analogy is great.
I might not be able to filter what I hear as much as I want to (after all the ears are like satellite dishes picking up signals everywhere and are without "lids" unlike the eyes) but I choose the filter what my mind processes. I choose to do this by renewing my mind everyday. So help me Lord.
Eno-obong said…
Hmmm...............really things come up through thots.
So much to hear, can't run away from that, we all need the word and the presence of God to renew our minds so as to listen to what God has to say.
Even in an open market, with all the persuasions from the sellers, what you pay for is your choice. Everyone advertises his products: the good and the bad. They can only advertise, persuade, lure and try to convince but they can't force out the money from your pocket. Negative ideas sometimes crop into our thoughts but there's always a still, small voice speaking peace into every troubled situation. I can overcome with the word of God. The present situation might try to overshadow the still small voice, but it sure works.
Thanks Stella.
Stella Agwor said…
so true..The holy spirit still speaks to us..even in the midst of all the noise in our soul....He reminds us of all truths. .lord help us to renew our minds daily. .God bless you All.

Popular posts from this blog

My Case Is Different...

Shutting my eyes I can vividly remember every time someone has tried to discourage me from launching out or dreaming big based on someone else's experience or failure... sometimes it has been said unconsciously,without even thinking... The moment you mention your intention and desires,there is always someone who is ready with an example of someone else's story... Who says I have to apply 10 times before I get a visa to a foreign country Who says I have to have a god-father before I get that dream job Who says I have to attend 5 interviews and receive 5 rejections before I get the job Who says I have to wait and wait,fall into wrong hands and then learn from my mistakes before I eventually  find my prince charming.. Who says I have to have connections to get ahead in life... My case is different... I am not a statistic...my case is different The fact that it happened to 4 or 6 people you know doesn't mean it would happen to me my case is

THANKSGIVING..

I have never had to struggle for want of what to write but I have literally spent the past minutes just staring at my screen.... where do I start from is the issue at hand How do I compress the faithfulness of GOD to me in just a post...hmmmm.. I turn 28 today..yet it seems I have been here longer.. I marvel at the quality and the richness of my life.. The wealth of experience and all that God has invested in me... For all his many blessings,For his favour and his Presence  Lord for all these and more..I say thank you I woke up today with gratitude,with a heart full of praise...God has been Good to me.. I take a walk down memory lane and I go back 15 years  to a time when I first accepted Jesus. What I am most grateful for is this decision I made to follow hard after JESUS A lot of times I failed Him,strayed away,messed up,blew my chances But His mercy never ceased and  I kept seeking and running after him.. I have come a long way 15 years later,I still love the lord r

I AM NOT DEAD YET

I am not much of the gardening type as much as I love flowers and pot plants, It takes quite a bit of an effort for me to give the flowers and pot plants in my front yard the attention they deserve... but I must admit they add such beauty and charm to my front yard. lately I have just been too pre-occupied with all that has been happening in my life and around me to even notice that I have plants to feed and nurture.. 2 weeks ago I noticed that they had all withered and the leaves were dry,brittle and falling,especially with the summer.. I sighed in regret..if only I wasn't too consumed with myself maybe my lovely front yard would have been preserved. I gave up,maybe it was too late to salvage the situation. I might just try I said to myself and see what difference it makes.. I set out a couple of days ago to water the plants...I had just a small bowl of water.. and as I went back inside to get more water..I got distracted and never got round to fully watering the