Skip to main content

Have you unwrapped your gift?

Have you unwrapped your gift?

My childhood was so much fun..
Imagine a younger version of me...
A 5 year old powerhouse standing in front of the mic stand my father bought me..
With my big brother stringing a guitar...singing loudly at the top of our voices and entertaining every visitor that obliged us...In our eyes, we were rock stars ๐ŸŒŸ ๐ŸŒŸ ⭐️.
I think I kind of imagined that was what my future was going to be like..
I was going to sing and perform in front of thousands of audiences.
Well, that was the dream until I grew up and discovered, my voice was nice but not really really nice.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚..

I remember joining the choir and I only ever got asked to do a solo like once...
I wasn’t quite sure what the reaction was after I sang..but the problem was I really really loved singing,
I so wanted to be this talented singer but I think I really loved the sound of my voice more than anyone else.After joining a real choir in my early adolescence and seeing that it required much more than talent but handwork to be a celebrated singer,I gave up trying to be a singer.Lets just say,I wasn’t ready to put in the work.
So, many years ago someone asked me what my talent was and I looked back rather blankly..
I don’t know came my reply and She said..don’t worry you would discover it with time.Well I was convinced that since I couldn’t sing, I probably wasn’t that talented.

I remember in sept, 2010, my big sis Joy read my big yellow journal that had pages upon pages of things I had written since 2005 and she quickly made a photocopy of the entire book, weeks later after we spoke she said, stella you write so well, you should write some more..I remember laughing and thinking to myself me!write....I am not a writer o...
In 2003 I had met my big brother “ Uncle Sasi”and He saw something in me that I never saw in myself...
He was this big time lawyer, novelists and He used to call me his protรฉgรฉe and would pay me to edit manuscripts...He gave me that yellow journal and encouraged me to write..
Hmmm..this writing thing, me I am not talented like that I would say to myself.
Eventually,I did write but no one ever read it apart from big Sis Joy..
Ah!!!We are indeed our biggest enemy
How often we shortchange and place limits on ourselves without even knowing it.

Fast forward to 2012..I was in a foreign country away from my family and friends..
Was in a new church, where no one knew who I was and I was going through a really difficult season…In the middle of all of that,God put a burden in my heart to write…
Write…but I am not a writer lord, how am I going to start..who is going to read it,
The self limiting questions in my heart were many.
Thankfully the nudge in my heart was so strong and it had this urgency to it…
Get on your laptop and just start typing came the command,
Write about your faith journey…share your struggles and victories..
After much wrestling I wrote my 1st blog post in March,2013 and that was how “This woman of faith” blog Started.
Exactly 1 month after I started writing my daughter died, if I had never faced my fears in that month of March and started writing,I am not sure I would have written at all.

It has taken me 5 years to believe that I am good at writing
I have had people tell me that I am a really good,
that my ability to tell stories of diverse experiences in writing is no fluke but indeed a gift..
But I needed to believe that for myself and commit to growing my gift.
I have gradually grown confident and over these five years,I have evolved in my style and delivery.
I actually addressed myself as a writer for the 1st time this year….

Wow…A writer, yes o….stella is a writer๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
I am embracing my gift and working hard and no longer writing only just when I feel like it.


The 7 key points I want to convey from this post are these;

1.God has deposited unique gift(s) and talent(s)in each and everyone of us.It is our responsibility to discover our gifts and utilise them.
2.God would always place people in your life that would point you to your gift…people in the sense who would help you discover and harness your gift..eg, what qualities and abilities have people commended you on.
3.Your gift is unique to you, do not despise it or look down on it.No one gift is better than the other for God is the giver of all gifts.
4.When you recognise and embrace your gift, It has the potential to grow..If you do not work on your gift it simply won’t amount to anything.Talent is not enough, hard work is what would grow your gift.
5.God would use adversity to push and birth your gifts.
6.Your gifts would stay dormant and buried until you activate it..It is not too late as long as you are alive.Be determined to die empty.
7.You have to believe in yourself, stop second guessing, stop overthinking, stop doubting.Do it afraid,Do it with your eyes closed.Just do it.

2018 is fast ending,I am encouraging anyone reading this to sit down and prayerfully strategise on how you can multiply your gifts and abilities in the coming year..
I challenge you to think and dare to be more and do more with your gift and talents..
Recognise what it is God has gifted you with.
Be bold enough to unwrap that gift and stay committed in the place of growing that gift.


Remember “ Your talent is God’s gift to you.what you do with it is your gift back to God”.Leo Buscaglia

You deserve to shine
Shine so bright so your heavenly father is pleased.
Lots of love.
©️thiswomanoffaith

““Your lives light up the world. Let others see your light from a distance, for how can you hide a city that stands on a hilltop? And who would light a lamp and then hide it in an obscure place? Instead, it’s placed where everyone in the house can benefit from its light. So don’t hide your light! Let it shine brightly before others, so that the commendable things you do will shine as light upon them, and then they will give their praise to your Father in heaven.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:14-16‬ ‭TPT‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬

“If you are uniquely gifted in your work, you will rise and be promoted. You won’t be held back— you’ll stand before kings!”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭22:29‬ ‭TPT‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬

“Every gift God freely gives us is good and perfect, streaming down from the Father of lights, who shines from the heavens with no hidden shadow or darkness and is never subject to change.”
‭‭James (Jacob)‬ ‭1:17‬ ‭TPT‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Case Is Different...

Shutting my eyes I can vividly remember every time someone has tried to discourage me from launching out or dreaming big based on someone else's experience or failure... sometimes it has been said unconsciously,without even thinking... The moment you mention your intention and desires,there is always someone who is ready with an example of someone else's story... Who says I have to apply 10 times before I get a visa to a foreign country Who says I have to have a god-father before I get that dream job Who says I have to attend 5 interviews and receive 5 rejections before I get the job Who says I have to wait and wait,fall into wrong hands and then learn from my mistakes before I eventually  find my prince charming.. Who says I have to have connections to get ahead in life... My case is different... I am not a statistic...my case is different The fact that it happened to 4 or 6 people you know doesn't mean it would happen to me my case is

THANKSGIVING..

I have never had to struggle for want of what to write but I have literally spent the past minutes just staring at my screen.... where do I start from is the issue at hand How do I compress the faithfulness of GOD to me in just a post...hmmmm.. I turn 28 today..yet it seems I have been here longer.. I marvel at the quality and the richness of my life.. The wealth of experience and all that God has invested in me... For all his many blessings,For his favour and his Presence  Lord for all these and more..I say thank you I woke up today with gratitude,with a heart full of praise...God has been Good to me.. I take a walk down memory lane and I go back 15 years  to a time when I first accepted Jesus. What I am most grateful for is this decision I made to follow hard after JESUS A lot of times I failed Him,strayed away,messed up,blew my chances But His mercy never ceased and  I kept seeking and running after him.. I have come a long way 15 years later,I still love the lord r

I AM NOT DEAD YET

I am not much of the gardening type as much as I love flowers and pot plants, It takes quite a bit of an effort for me to give the flowers and pot plants in my front yard the attention they deserve... but I must admit they add such beauty and charm to my front yard. lately I have just been too pre-occupied with all that has been happening in my life and around me to even notice that I have plants to feed and nurture.. 2 weeks ago I noticed that they had all withered and the leaves were dry,brittle and falling,especially with the summer.. I sighed in regret..if only I wasn't too consumed with myself maybe my lovely front yard would have been preserved. I gave up,maybe it was too late to salvage the situation. I might just try I said to myself and see what difference it makes.. I set out a couple of days ago to water the plants...I had just a small bowl of water.. and as I went back inside to get more water..I got distracted and never got round to fully watering the