Skip to main content

ENJOYING NOT ENDURING MARRIAGE


4 years ago on the 18th of Sept, I married my best friend..
and it has been an amazing ride..
There have been many highs as well as lows
I remember our wedding day like it was yesterday
I danced my heart out..it was indeed a joyful celebration of love
neither of us knew what lied ahead but we were certain
that we loved ourselves enough to venture into the future.

I remember being single and saying to my girl friends that
I would enjoy my marriage rather than endure it.
I had a picture of what my marriage should look like.
The more I mature in love the more I realise that enjoying
marriage every day and through every season is no walk in the park
It takes a conscious effort,a lot of hard work and the fruit of the holy spirit.
It is so easy for the excitement and enjoyment to die,we begin to endure
each other as we do life together.
I have also come to understand very strongly that the devil
is after marriages
So I need to consciously fight for my marriage,
always on the attack and never on the defense.

The foundation of every marriage would definitely be tested
and it has nothing to do with age,or the length of the marriage
or how spiritual you are..the season or seasons of testing would definitely come...
A couple of months ago Abi said to me..when I was marrying you I did not bargain for *SMA
I looked at him and nodded...neither did I..
I didn't envisage that some where along the line I would bury a child...
I never imagined the magnitude of the challenges that we would go through
It hasn't been all rosy like in the movies
but hey..we are still here together,still strong,we still laugh at and with each other
and our love is stronger today than it was yesterday..
What could have potentially destroyed our young marriage has cemented us together..


I look around and see so many homes destroyed because of a season of financial hardship
or delay in child birth..or a disabled child you name it...
So many marriages have moved from enjoyment to enduring..biting the bullet,saying it is well when all isn't
some people stay married for all the wrong reasons...the kids...the financial security,society etc..
So many marriages that we once looked up to are ending up in divorce..
very few role models,very few staying through thick and thin...
may that not be our portion..
regardless of the failing marriages,they are many beautiful examples around us..
Many are staying true to their vows...many are enjoying their marriages.
And it is my prayer today that ours would be like so in Jesus Name ,Amen
 As we celebrate another Anniversary today I am so humbled by God's grace and mercy
I am so thankful that we are still standing in love..
I remember a few years back going through the challenging time with our daughter
I had to make a decision that regardless of what happened,I wasn't going to let it destroy
my home..I was going to find a reason to laugh in the rain and hold on to the
picture I have of what my home should be according to what God had ordained it to be..
Two chasing ten thousand,facing the world and its troubles together..

I am not there yet..but I strive daily to be a better me..
And as I allow the holyspirt to work on me and in me
I know things would get better and sweeter
I may not have been married for too long..but I have been married long enough to
celebrate how far I have come..
I celebrate our victories and I am thankful for the trials
 they have only come to make us stronger...
As I look ahead...I know I have to take advantage of all the grace and wisdom God has given me to
be  more patient and understanding...and to season my words with a lot more salt..

As I celebrate my home...
I also celebrate the many men and women who are keeping it real
and doing every thing under God to enjoy their marriages and not endure it..
May you continue to grow more in love regardless of the storms..
YOU ARE CELEBRATED.



*

SMA(Spinal Muscular Atrophy) The genetic condition we lost our daughter to.




 

Comments

Hokaha said…
Thank you Stells..your life is a blessing..Happy Anniversary again to you n your love..
Stella Agwor said…
Thanks my darln sis. .we give God all the praise. . bless you loads
Unknown said…
congrats Stells and Bidex, it can only get sweeter and sweeter.. Happy Anniversary
Stella Agwor said…
Id dear. .thanks a lot. .its been ages. how are you. .
Unknown said…
HWA Stella et Bidemi! God has indeed been faithful. Wish you guys sweeter and prosperous years together. I'm so happy for you. xoxo
Stella Agwor said…
Amen dear..Thanks Ut..really appreciate this. .lots of luv
Anonymous said…
HWA to my favourite Duo, Love u much, kiss d little one 4 me, who even knew SMA existed until mum told me one day Tammy had SMA & I literally had to Google it. It's being God & He is Still God he changeth not.
Stella Agwor said…
Thanks my darln..God is still God love,we honestly don't know what lies ahead..but with God we can and would definitely overcome...love you dear sis...
Anonymous said…
Happy anniversary Stelzz and Bidemi...May God continue to bless and strengthen your family. You are indeed an example of the way it should be. Much love, Mmaeka. xx
Stella Agwor said…
awwww thanks a lot beautiful Mmaeka...God bless you dear.
Unknown said…
HWA my darling!! So happy for you. Grateful to God for all He had done and is still doing in your lives!! It is well... More testimonies, more kids, more breakthroughs, more victories, more money, more love, more joy, more peace, more celebrations, more, more, more!! Love u dear. God bless ur home. My love to Bidemi,
Stella Agwor said…
onosymama. ..Amen and Amen..thank you so much. .love you loads. .love to your men..
nenka alobi said…
Happy Anniversary girlfriend, my one n only ASP, It can only get better n better, no better yesterdays. may d love that's between you n ur hubby never fade out. God bless u
Stella Agwor said…
awww Amen n Amen..thanks a lot nenka darln..it has been a while..thanks for the luvly comment.God bless you too

Popular posts from this blog

My Case Is Different...

Shutting my eyes I can vividly remember every time someone has tried to discourage me from launching out or dreaming big based on someone else's experience or failure... sometimes it has been said unconsciously,without even thinking... The moment you mention your intention and desires,there is always someone who is ready with an example of someone else's story... Who says I have to apply 10 times before I get a visa to a foreign country Who says I have to have a god-father before I get that dream job Who says I have to attend 5 interviews and receive 5 rejections before I get the job Who says I have to wait and wait,fall into wrong hands and then learn from my mistakes before I eventually  find my prince charming.. Who says I have to have connections to get ahead in life... My case is different... I am not a statistic...my case is different The fact that it happened to 4 or 6 people you know doesn't mean it would happen to me my case is

THANKSGIVING..

I have never had to struggle for want of what to write but I have literally spent the past minutes just staring at my screen.... where do I start from is the issue at hand How do I compress the faithfulness of GOD to me in just a post...hmmmm.. I turn 28 today..yet it seems I have been here longer.. I marvel at the quality and the richness of my life.. The wealth of experience and all that God has invested in me... For all his many blessings,For his favour and his Presence  Lord for all these and more..I say thank you I woke up today with gratitude,with a heart full of praise...God has been Good to me.. I take a walk down memory lane and I go back 15 years  to a time when I first accepted Jesus. What I am most grateful for is this decision I made to follow hard after JESUS A lot of times I failed Him,strayed away,messed up,blew my chances But His mercy never ceased and  I kept seeking and running after him.. I have come a long way 15 years later,I still love the lord r

I AM NOT DEAD YET

I am not much of the gardening type as much as I love flowers and pot plants, It takes quite a bit of an effort for me to give the flowers and pot plants in my front yard the attention they deserve... but I must admit they add such beauty and charm to my front yard. lately I have just been too pre-occupied with all that has been happening in my life and around me to even notice that I have plants to feed and nurture.. 2 weeks ago I noticed that they had all withered and the leaves were dry,brittle and falling,especially with the summer.. I sighed in regret..if only I wasn't too consumed with myself maybe my lovely front yard would have been preserved. I gave up,maybe it was too late to salvage the situation. I might just try I said to myself and see what difference it makes.. I set out a couple of days ago to water the plants...I had just a small bowl of water.. and as I went back inside to get more water..I got distracted and never got round to fully watering the